Thursday 19 September 2013

What is beauty?

What is beauty? What makes a thing beautiful? Why does it move anyone to label it as such?
On a superficial level, I’ve wondered what certain structure of a face or curve of a body makes one beautiful and if I possessed it. I’ve oft wondered about my kind of beauty and whether or not it was beautiful. Sad? Isn’t it? Sadder are the factors we allow to inform us what beauty is or means. Wouldn’t you agree?
And yes, I’ve also tried to understand what was informing my ideas of beauty. I’ve wondered if it was culture, my upbringing, realities of class, or the media? I no longer wonder about these things of course as I have fully come in terms with my kind of beauty, and what I find beautiful in others. The battle of whether or not to refine or change one’s physical beauty is also long conquered.
But I still draw from What Ben Okri says “is what the world sees” when I think of beauty. One can even argue that beauty or the way it has been fed to women has become the ultimate cover up for flaws, emptiness, even wickedness. It has become a kind of power the world sees or prefers to see. The kind the power the world appreciates above all else.”

Oroma Elewa

No comments:

Post a Comment